Friday, February 22, 2008

Hungry for some Pupusas?

Well, then, head on over to the Mission District of San Francisco. It's where I come to get my favorite of Mexican and South American cuisine. A favorite of many food connoisseurs is the Salvadorean pupusa, a thick corn tortilla stuffed with your choice of pork, chicken, cheese, zucchini, or even shrimp! I went to El Zocalo, a cute little place on the edge of the Mission District, near Bernal Heights, to try some of their pupusas. They also serve up mean breakfast items, including my favorite, huevos rancheros!


Here is my delightful pupusa. Oh, how filling and hearty it looks!















Oops! You were so delicious that I had to get a bite of you! It was filled with chicken and cheese, two of my favorite edible things in the world!















To top it off, one of these pupusas is only $1.80! My friend Emily says you can leave feeling satisfied and full on only two of these! That's a meal under 5 bucks, not counting tax and tip! And for someone who's just graduated from college and without a large income, that's definitely alright with me!

In addition to the food of the Mission District, you should come for some of the sights. Including the hipsters. We took a stroll down Mission and walked in Holly Park in Bernal Heights. We were lucky that it was a gorgeous day, complete with blue skies and not a cloud in the sky. From where we were, we caught a great view of this fabulous city, and it once again reminded me why I love living in San Francisco.

So, here are some sights and, of course, foods for you to enjoy!


This is the view from Holly Park. Check out the tree on that hill in the distance! Isn't this quaint? The San Francisco Chronicle calls Bernal Heights an "urban village" and I couldn't agree more.















This is from Que-Tal, a cafe in the Mission. I didn't actually eat anything here, but it was such a colorful place that I couldn't resist the urge to snap a few shots.















Everyone in the City loves a good bagel.



















I'm not a huge fan of really sweet desserts, but sometimes even I like to say that I have a separate "dessert stomach" as a means of justifying the need to devour more food/desserts after a large meal. This looks too good.















So, in a nutshell, go to the Mission for the great food, the colorful sights, and the hipsters (whether you like them or not, because they really are everywhere)!

Cafe Que-Tal
Neighborhood: The Mission
1005 Guerrero Street
(between 22nd St & Alvarado St)
San Francisco, CA 94110

El Zocalo
Neighborhood: Bernal Heights
3230 Mission St
(between 29th St & Valencia St)
San Francisco, CA 94110

Peace, love, and pupusas!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

frood! pupusas? never had them. and the only thing i know about huevos rancheros is that carls jr has a huevos rancheros burrito

Anonymous said...

hey there beaver!
i think i shall have to visit these places... i don't know the mission very well, but i intend to start :)
-katrina